View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Bike Week

I am not a motorcycle biker in any sense of the word, never was, and probably never will be, but I do live in the Lakes Region - Home to Bike Week.

FLL is not so far off base as some may think; however, considering the magnitude of Bike Week, this question deserves a lot of discussion before any discisions are made. Bike Week is centered at Weirs Beach, but it's financial tentacles reach virtually every corner, nook, and cranny of New Hampshire, and into Maine, Vermont, and even neighboring Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.

There is no denying the economic impact Bike Week has to the merchants who sell bike-related material, fuel, food, and other sundries. The local housing market gets a boost, not to mention the restaurants of all shapes and sizes.

Years ago Bike Week was a different animal, not really family-friendly, and trainted (sadly) by the bad-boy behavior of many of the participants. However, I think this is changing, and will take time, to a situation wherein the bad-boy syndrome is going away and a more family-friendly atmosphere prevails. This is not to say that Bike Week will lose its edgy feeling, but to say that the unsavory element may go away in favor of a less "frightening" crowd.

One has to remember that the Bike Week bikers are not the only users of Bike Week, in that many, many visitors participate simply as 'watchers', and, also, these people use the gas stations, retail outlets, and restaurants.

Does reform need to happen - probably, does it need to be immediate - probably not.

As I started out by saying, I am not a biker (and it probably shows), but I do strongly feel this is an event with deep roots in out area, and I would like to see it continue, but I would also think that all sides need to be heard from to discuss issues. The article by Anne Deli is a great starting point.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote