Thread: Anchor issue
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
ApS

Exclamation ​"Patience achieves more than force"—Edmund Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLevis View Post
Anchored off Bear the other day and got my anchor hung up pretty good! Any advice on how to avoid this the next time?Attachment 8120
Unless you anchor in areas shallow enough to "scope" the situation out, you can't really avoid it.

• I bought a similarly twisted Danforth at a garage sale, figuring with a big vise and big pipe, I could straighten it out. While it did get sorta straight, I was unimpressed by the strength of each part. I wouldn't put it in "serious service" again, except maybe as a backup anchor.

• Even a mushroom anchor can get stuck in a rocky substrate. In one case, I could see through 15 feet of water that my mushroom anchor had simply slid between three large pointed rocks whose tips were touching. With one finger on the rode, I was able to slide it back out visually.

• My next door neighbor had lodged his anchor in a rocky area, and left a float on the line to return later. Finally giving up, he was about to cut his anchor line, when I suggested we take my rowboat and "do circles" with the anchor line stretched taut. It took perhaps 15 minutes, but we got it out—undamaged.

'Course, there are ways not to save an anchor.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote