View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #41
Belmont Resident

Default Eat at home!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
That $8.25 could get you another appetizer or dessert , which would in turn would give the local restaurant owner another $8.25 added revenue, which would then in turn give all the vendors they buy from and the employee's they hire more revenue so they can then go out to eat or buy something that suites their fancy . You never know, one of those restaurant owners, vendors or employees may have something you are trying to sell. I see a lot of people with smiles on their faces if NH were to lower the meal tax. Heck, if they can lower a "sin" tax's (HB 156) why not a "luxury" tax. I personally don't have any friends who pick tobacco but I do have a lot of friends and family who work in local restaurants.

Yup, I guess I am hung up when a person has to pay a higher tax on a meal vs. no tax on a new diamond ring. Ask a person who's job takes them on the road and they have to dine out what is more of a "luxury item", having a good meal at the end of the day or buying some more bling?

It's a good thing we have some new presidential candidates that are also hung up on all the tax's. Can't wait for some new gubernatorial candidates to speak their mind.

Hey, if most folks don't care about a 3% difference, why not have a general NH sales tax of 3% so that people who dine out a lot or own homes can get a break. That will never happen . Most of the NH politicians think 3% is a big difference as it gets MA residents to cross the boarder and buy buy buy. In fact I believe they just lowered a sin tax! How will they make up the difference...umm let me guess....
For some odd reason you are really hung up on something that for the rest of us really isn’t a problem, it comes with life in this state. How you are able to work the meals tax into this thread on the new Hannaford’s is beyond me.
Unless you are eating out ALL the time you are talking pennies on the dollar which isn’t really worth worrying about for most of us. But then there are those that will drive out of there way for a deal on gas and use more gas getting there. That makes sense!!!
It is kinda like buying a house in a certain town then complaining about the taxes in that town. You know what you are getting into before you make the change.
I honestly don’t see how you can even compare NH to any of the southern states since most are coming up here to a better place to get away from their over crowded, poverty stricken, smog filled, crime filled cities. Personally they just don’t compare, other then jobs I could never understand how anyone could enjoy life in a city. But that is just me, I’m sure many find it hard to believe life in a rural area with tree’s, birds, wildlife, oh and peace and quiet could possibly be a plus.