View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #63
ApS

Talking Maybe I Read It Wrong, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHemy View Post
"...Does anyone think that duck mites are either present or not present in lower vs. higher water...I've never had a duck mite "bite" or reaction in my life and can't imagine that the lake level has a thing to do with whether or not one can be affected..."
IMHO:

You got me thinking this week: I haven't had a bite this season, either—not one. It may be how I "exit" the water.

Every day—sometimes twice a day—I "hike" myself out of the lake at a dock that stands in about 30-inches of Lake Winnipesaukee. In securing the boat for the night, I'm usually already dry by the time I "need-to-dry-off-vigorously-with-a-towel".

Duck-itch critters get congregated in the shallows by winds. In shallows, it may be impossible for swimmers to avoid lakewater that has those critters concentrated right-there. Each swimmer needs to find a way to exit the water that keeps them out of those "shallow-concentrations".

From the deepest water around where you're swimming, I'd "exit' using a boat ladder, breakwater, or a dock—with permission.

With the water collecting at one's lower legs (and ankles), that would explain the majority-presence of bites in that area—as each little critter's "world" evaporates.

That said, I don't understand why Bear Islander thinks the answer is his thread on power-washing!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10553

If pressure-washed too closely, it's a procedure that is potentially cruel to the animal, makes a fowl mess anyway, and won't solve the Duck-Itch issue for man or beast.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote