Thread: Dock Lines
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Here is a great animated eye loop slicing tutorial.

http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/index.php
What a great animation; there are a few variations I could do. One strand could have two added tucks, and another have one added tuck from the third, which stays at three tucks from the first. This makes a sort of tapered change of thickness.

Having grown up on New England coast with sailing lessons, once learned one does not forget. Several times for a summer lake person a friend eye spliced in both ends of the 4 lines to attach to dock as previous post writes. End result is the splicing was not appreciated. When we browse the Antique Classic Boat shows, at Meredith Town Docks in late July, it is really amusing how the owners of many such elegant craft can be so clueless about knots and splicing. The reason for the knots is basically ease of attaching and leaving a dock, especially if one is hurried. Wrapping lines round and round and round the post is very inefficient.

If I can create some free time, one could PM and I'd get in touch with my friend to do some splicing. A few marinas might possibly have a rigger on staff who could do some splicing and/or suggestions ~ I say possibly!

Copy the animation and keep it on one's own computer device, is best option!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote