View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Anybody know what the hold up is with the ziplines? The website has shown a July opening for a while. I called a few weeks ago looking for a potential opening the person I spoke to could not give any answer except in July. One week left and no zip lines in yet? What gives? Any info?
Zip Lines opened this past Saturday. They'll be open year round. The longest in the continental U.S. they are tandem zip lines so you may cruise down with a partner next to you. $65 per person and takes about two hours from summit to base. Nice article in the Laconia Sun today. Unable to cut and paste from this PDF newspaper....or if someone can figure out how to do this please let me know!

photo from the Citizen -
GILFORD — After six months of construction and much anticipation, Gunstock Mountain Resort will open what it claims to be the longest ziplines in the Continental United States this weekend.

Quote:
from the Citizen
GILFORD — After six months of construction and much anticipation, Gunstock Mountain Resort will open what it claims to be the longest ziplines in the Continental United States this weekend.
The ZipTour will include five ziplines, covering almost 9,000 feet.

“It is awesome,” said Greg Goddard, Gunstock’s general manager on Friday. “We were out on it today with the final inspection and certification and the ride is incredible. The construction took about six months but was well worth it, as two of the ziplines on the tour will be the longest in the Continental U.S. and the 4th and 6th longest in the world.”
Gunstock’s ZipTour will run year-round, offering views of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Participants will start this weekend in the Adventure center where they will check in, sign releases, and be fitted with harnesses. They will then head to a demo zip line to practice with the braking mechanism. After that, it’s off to the 451-foot-long training zip line.
“This process gets everyone more comfortable with the equipment, as it is unique to zipline experiences,” said Pat McGonagle, Gunstock Adventure Center manager.
The Panorama lift will take participants to the top for the Summit Span, a 251-foot zipline.
“The unique ability to engage a brake allows you to travel at up to a 25 percent grade,” officials said.
From there participants take the catwalk to the Recoil Span which purportedly is the longest zipline in the country, at 3,981 feet.
Gunstock’s ZipTour lines have been installed in tandem, allowing participants to ride down or race the person next to them. The Recoil span at one point is 155 feet off the ground over the ski trails and then it cruises to the back side of Pistol, coming as close as 15 feet off the ground.
“It’s a truly unique experience,” said Bill Quigley, director of Marketing and Sales at the resort. “I did the summit for the first time today, and can’t wait to get back up there.”
The last span is a quick walk across the trail at the top of the Pistol Lift, with a 3,809-foot zipline taking the participants to the base while crossing the Terrain Park, parking lot and pond at the base before landing on a huge deck.
The entire tour for a group of 12 will take more than two hours. Due to the limited number of people that can go per hour, reservations are recommended.
For more information, see www.gunstock.com or call 603-737-4388 to make reservations.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post: