View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #30
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
OK: I think I understand what's going on now. You have a theaded hole in the back of the bell housing where the original Bolt screwed in. So the bolt broke off IN the hole but left some usable threads in the hole. Is that correct ?.

If the depth of the theaded hole that still has usable threads is AS Deep as the diameter of the old bolt..or deeper, that is sufficient. I suggest you do not replace the bolt with an identacal bolt..or try to shorten one to snug up tight because that is too tedious and Iffy.

Try this. Go to NAPA and get a STUD to replace the original bolt configuration. Studs have a "Course" thread on one end, which will screw into the hole. The other end of a stud is usually a "Fine" thread". Get a Nut and a split washer to fit the fine thread. If you have more than the diameter in depth..use the split washer..if not, skip the washer.

Use Loctite #271 (Red) on the Course threads ONLY. Screw it in tight with a pair of plyers or better yet a Mini "Pipe Wrench". I have one with a 6 inch handle that it perfect for screwing or removing Studs or broken off bolts.

Loctite #271 is nearly permanent and requires Heat (Bernzamatic Torch) to remove. Not a problem down the road because presumably the engine will be out of the boat at that point.

If I've misinterpretted the problem here..then disregard all of the above. NB
Having worked in both the automotive industry and at a machine shop, I agree with NoBozo's recommendation.

If you are not going to pull the engine to fix it, then this is your best option.

Clean the threads with a good solvent and used the loctite and let it dry the full recommended time.

This option will allow you to add a washer if needed to get the started properly tightened.

Its not an ideal solution, but should get you going.

As a aside, you were very lucky that you didnt have an explosion given the loose wires and the location of the starter!

Arcing wires in the bilge area is an accident waiting to happen.

This is why you always want to run your bilge blower before starting your engine!!!

Good Luck.

Last edited by XCR-700; 07-05-2010 at 10:52 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: