View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #27
ApS

Thumbs up Not Long-Term, but OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
"...I have to buy a new bolt for the bottom...Can you suggest another method if I dont use stacked washers. The bolt broke inside the threaded hole but I can still get about a half dozen threads. I would have to remove the engine in order to drill out the broken bolt as it is under the engine in the bilge..."
Now that I've read this again, I see it is your newer [broken] bolt that is giving the problem.

After your repair, listen for a possible return to the starter-loosening-problem each time you go out. My guess is, you'll see a return to this starter problem—eventually. (Not sad just a "wrinkled brow").

While stacked washers are problematical, you could insert one thick steel spacer that approximates the thickness needed. Put a lock-washer on the top and bottom of the spacer.

But remember that this is a "temporary fix".

If the new (and broken) bolt loosens again, consider using a proprietary bolt manufactured with "cuts" on the end. Those cuts assist in "self-tapping" its way back to a proper alignment.

Another thought is that a replacement bolt made of stainless steel is very resistant to the hard abuse that a starter motor gives in this kind of application.

Neither of the above are the "best fix", but a ready solution to your situation early in this year's boating season.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote