View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Wasn't there a 62 year old guy who drowned or died some way in April, 2011, while returning to Cow Island by himself in a Scat airboat. It was about 90-feet from the Cow Island shoreline, and he was a living out there or something.

So's ....let me guess what happened based on what I have seen with airboats going from open water to ice. To get up onto the ice shelf, airboaters will increase engine power to power up the bow onto the ice and move forward....and sometimes the airboat can flip-flop backwards over and become upside-down on the water, or half on the water, half on the ice, or the slush or so. Anyway, in the April 2011 Cow Island airboat death, something went dead wrong?
The accident in question happened on a small Scat hovercraft, not an airboat. Completely different animal. I heard that it was not moving at the time, it was more of a tipping accident.

I have never heard of an airboat flipping over backwards getting on to the ice, certainly not around here. The type that I was talking about is more of a traditional fiberglass boat that you sit down on and is not top heavy.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote