View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post

Now looking at snowmobile, or 4-wheeler ATV, or 4-wheeler UTV... we don't have plans to do any trail riding, just staying on the lake (hopefully on top of the lake, not in the lake)...

Any thoughts, recommendations, pros/cons, etc welcomed!
PIG

A hovercraft or fan boat while nice that they can be used at any time are going to be expensive, I would think kind of a pain to deal with and just simply to exotic all around. Really if you think about it how many weeks per year would you want or need to get out there where that would be your only means of transportation? To me, not worth it... so moving on to ATV, UTV or sleds.

Sleds, yep they work great in fact that is my mode of transportation in the winter time. There are drawbacks to them though, biggest being you need snow! The snow is required for both lubrication and cooling. They are fast and fun, but if you have no desire to go trail riding or take any rides around on the lake over any great distance I would suggest this is not a very practical option.

ATV would be my recommendation to you. So long as it's 4WD and you invest in some chains in case you need them for traction. You don't have to go very far to get to your place so it's a short ride, usually coming out of Sheps there is a decent snowmobile trail packed down out between Bear and Pine, usually made by me, which will get you 90% of the way to your place. Rarely have I ever been out on the lake where the snow was so deep using an ATV would have been a problem. Plus... ATVs can be used year round for other stuff.

UTVs are kind of cool but I think they are way to expensive, bulky and heavy. I could see where you may get into a little trouble with one of those on the ice under the right conditions. One thing to think about big and heavy are not good attributes in the snow especially when they get stuck for whatever reason.

You could always get one of each which is a thought I have been mulling since I have 2 sleds and no ATV.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: