View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

That's true, Gavia, and I think lots of smaller boats just buy it at the gas stations and carry it their boats and put it in themselves. There is no way to tell how many boaters don't use the marinas. But the state should certainly be able to obtain an amout of gallons of fuel bought by marinas on Winni. When they sell it to the marinas they charge the .18 and of course it is up to the boat owners to get a rebate for off road use. They are obviously hoping the majority of boaters won't bother. (We don't.) Also most of the marinas use forklifts and or boat gas themselves so I bet all or most of them file for a rebate and in order to do that, they have to report all gallons used. So the state knows.
AC, yes they would have to go through each quarter. As I said, part of the process is total gallons bought and total gallons used, on and off road. And yes, I agree, with so many PWCs, it probably would be hard to figure.
The oil companies also much charge the federal tax (.24), which you can file for a rebate for at the end of the year with the feds for off road use. I think the .02 environmental tax is not refundable, whether used on or off road.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote