View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #29
sa meredith

Default ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Unless you get a copy of the report, I doubt you'll ever hear anything. Skip said the report would be freely available if you don't remove it from the building. I don't know if he ever got a chance to read it or not.

You will never hear anything from someone with a shattered ego after an experience like that. I'm quite sure many, many people saw the boat after it was reclaimed from the bottom.
Shattered ego aside...there is something to be learned from this. If post 301 is indeed accurate (many PMs to me saying they heard the same thing) , people need to realize, myself included, that a bow rider (even a good size Cobalt), in the broads, loaded very close to/slightly over capacity, on a day when the lake is crazy ugly, is a dangerous proposition.
On this particular day, I believe swells were over 3', very windy, and 8 passengers aboard. Certainly not a disaster waiting to happen, but the situation warrents extreme caution, and proper precautuons need to be taken.
This is in no way meant to a negative post toward those families...the fact that they all had PFDs is evidence of a good captain...but once that nose dipped...just too late. A wake up call for everyone else.
Again, possibly my info is wrong, and there was a boat issue.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote