View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
What are you picking up with that antenna?
Well, whoever is out there I use the antenna for transmitting as well as receiving, so if I hear someone I want to talk with, I'll give a call and visa-versa. There's usually a group of my radio buddies hanging out on 75 meters between 3870 and 3885 kHz (3.870mHz to 3.885mHz) in the mornings and after dark....and sometimes during the day as well, on the weekends.

The propagation is generally quite a bit better in the morning and during the evening. The D layer (the ionospheric layer nearest the ground) absorption is high in the late spring / summer / early fall during the day, when the sun is out, so 75 meters is generally pretty quiet at these times... and hey, it should be, right? Everyone should be outside enjoying the summer weather, and not hanging around talking on the radio during the day

Anyway, that's what the antenna is for. At that height, it works very well for distances within a thousand-plus or so miles at night. Winni to Florida, Winni to Chicago, etc. and everything in between. For longer distances on 75 meters, a greater antenna height (90 feet or more above the ground) is quite a bit better and makes a big difference way out there.

Probably more than you wanted to know
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post: