View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Running Lights on a Three Person PWC

The question of putting navigation lights on a three person PWC was brought up in the very fun and informative thread, Things I Have Learned at the Lake. Seeing how this is a boating issue, I thought it should have it's own thread.

I sent the following e-mail to Marine Patrol:

Maybe you could clear up a question for me. Can a three person PWC, which is considered a boat, have navigation lights and a stern light added to it for night time boating? I realize that a PWC could be difficult to use in the dark, but it would be very helpful for twighlight time.

Thanks!

Celia

I got this very thoughtful and informative response:
(I hope it is alright that I post MP's response!)

Dear Celia,

The answer is yes it can. But as a caution, we have heard stories that insurance companies have refused coverage and that your liability is at risk when you add something to the vessel that is not factory installed. This would become an issue if there was an accident or other situation where there is personal injury or damage. The other problem with putting lights on a PWC is that the 360 degree white light must be above the operators head so that it CAN be seen for 360 degrees. I hope this has answered your question.

Bruce A. Klinger, Dispatch Supervisor
New Hampshire Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Marine Patrol Bureau
Headquarters - 31 Dock Road Gilford NH 03249
603-293-2037* Fax HQ: 293-0096 Disp: 271-1153
www.marinepatrol.nh.gov
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post: