View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #33
Woodsy

APS/InHarms Way/Chipmunk Whisperer...

I guess its ok for you to BREAK the law and endanger people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
I used to outrun the local cops in my Karmann-Ghia (and never got caught). Sure, there were laws broken, but I didn't want a ticket! If they're going to nail me for 65 in a 45, I can always outdrive them in the curves, and say I didn't see or hear them. "I had the A/C on, Officer"..
So we have now established you have a penchant for small sports cars (BMW & Karmann) and by your own admission you routinely exceed the posted speed limits and you have run from the law! Yet you decry those who are driving thier boats within the scope of the law?

I have but one word for you... HYPOCRITE!

You try to paint an image of Hi-Performance boaters as reckless boozing cowboys. Lt. Dunleavey's old quote may be somewhat accurate, but those 80% of boaters also include family bowriders, sailboats, pontoon boats and other innoucous watercraft. His quote did not differentiate as to what type of boat.

DWI/BWI is a problem. Drinking and driving penalties are harsh, as they should be. DWI/BWI is a problem that a speed limit will do nothing to solve. HB-162 has no provisions for adding to the staff of the MP. In fact, given the fight over adding 7 State Troopers to the current SP roster, I doubt there is any money for any additional MP officers.

As far as what possible threat a drunk kayaker poses, well I guess that depends. A drunk kayaker or canoeist is an EXTREME hazard unto themselves. More people die in canoes and kayaks than ANY OTHER WATERCRAFT!

There have no daytime hi-speed collsions (above 45 MPH) between any boats here on Lake Winnipesaukee. In fact, I cannot reference to any daytime hi-speed collisions that occured on Lake Winnipesaukee at all. There has been one nightime collision, where alcohol/BWI was the suspected primary cause. Good thing ole Rusty's computer convieniently couldn't find the slip that told how much alcohol was really consumed that night! Nevertheless, he was convicted of negligent homicide and now sits in jail.

I fail to see how a 90 MPH PWC has anything to do with HB-162 or BWI as it has been discussed here. If you have enough cash Ken Warby will sell you his 200+ MPH boat he is building for the World Record Attempt.

Woodsy