View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default DynDNS

I have cams in my house here in Exeter and as part of the set-up to enable remote viewing from any PC, laptop etc. the techie (in Florida who sold me the gear) hooked me up with DynDNS in Manchester. This DynDNS purchase came about when this techie told me I would need a router for remote viewing (he suggested a Cisco/Linksys E1200-short money at Staples). Apparently the Westell modem I have from Fairpoint wasn't enough.

Don't quote me here but I have a paid account with DynDNS for "dynamic" vs. "static" service, and I bought one year of this service for $20. Fairpoint wanted a body part-it was absurd. A really stupid number.

Configuring these cams for remote access was also a bear-took hours with my (now paid) tech on the phone then a conference call with Fairpoint. In the end it worked out but what an exercise..........and expense...just for remote access.

As it is now my remote access is down; The tech in Florida now doesn't respond to my calls or emails (at all). I asked a guy here in Exeter who charges more than my proctologist for tech support, what might be the trouble...he thought among other reasons a power failure. Yes we had one maybe 8-9 days ago. And my proctologist, like Captain Kirk, has boldly gone where no man has gone before.

Fairpoint told me a few days ago it's not them either. The logged on to my PC here at home while on the phone and looked around-I must say the tech didn't mumble-she seemed to know exactly what she was talking about and we looked at many aspects of the configuration and she saw nothing out of place.

DynDNS says it's not them either (I go to their site to log on for remote access and their site never loads-that's how I first noticed I have no remote access). Cams work fine when viewed at the DVR though.

I have emailed brk-Int for help. You have to love the Winni Forum. Wow what a resource.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote