View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #147
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
With the recent colder weather has Cattle Landing locked up? Any activity on the south side of Bear Island? Thanks.
I was over at Sheps on Sunday checking things out. Did not go all the way down to Cattle Landing, however I did an ice check while I was there. I can post some pics later, they are on my phone. My guess is from what I am about to report, anywhere near cattle landing is no good.

The spot there next to the docks where everyone usually accesses the ice is froze over, the ice eaters at Sheps were not running. There is a barge parked next to the docks think it belongs to Ambrose. I walked out about 10 feet from shore, chopped a hole in the ice - maybe 3 inches... that's a big maybe. Ventured out a little farther ~ 30 feet or so chopped another hole, about the same thickness. I did not go any further. Gingerly made it back to dry land.

Looking across there was evidence of wet spots in the snow all over the place. To me looked way to variable with long narrow bands of wet snow/ice that stretched in some places nearly all the way across between Bear and the mainland. Now there is somebody travelling back and forth across between Sheps and the island with an air boat or hovercraft. The path taken is clearly visible and it's pretty clear that it's breaking through the ice out there as it crosses. The chunks of ice looked to be maybe 3" thick as well.

With the cold weather I would expect the ice to build some, but with there being snow on top now to insulate it probably not build as quickly as one would hope. What bothered me were the areas that were wet, how good is the ice anywhere near those spots, probably not very. To be honest with the varying temps mostly being north of freezing I would be over all concerned about the integrity of what is there. It just hasn't been cold long enough to be confident that there is a good solid base of ice. I may go check it out again this weekend but I'm to chicken to make the first crossing.

There was no sign of anyone being out on the ice at all.

That said there were trucks and bob houses out on 19 mile bay!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: