View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Silver Duck

My wife and I have been weekending and taking vacations aboard our cruiser for 4 years, and love the "marina lifestyle". In fact, we just bought a new 29 footer to get a bit more living space! You can't get more "waterfront" than a cruiser, and we enjoy the convenience of having everything with us when we go lake running!

But, marina life is not for everyone. One downside is that shoreside amenities such as showers need to be shared with other families, and are not always instantly available. And, keep in mind that marinas are much like a very small village. You'll be in close proximity to your dockmates and you'll need people skills to get the most enjoyment from marina life!

Another consideration is the "atmosphere". Some places are very laid back and casual, some have a gazillion rules. I've heard that in some yacht clubs renters are treated like second class citizens and do not enjoy all the privileges that owners do (e.g., no pets). I'd strongly suggest talking to some of the people at each marina that you are considering to see what life is like there!

As for location, it's always a tradeoff. Folks at the Paugus Bay marinas and Yacht Clubs have to face the dreaded channel to reach the main part of the lake, but are close to lots of activities and stores. Highly sheltered locations like West Alton, Silver Sands, and MVYC eliminate "wake dancing" at your slip, but generally have less than sparkling clean water. In Meredith, you don't get heavy wakes and the water is fairly clean, but you do get lots of bustle and motorcycle noise, and in marinas open to the lake you get bounced around by wakes, but this same wake action keeps the water sparkling clean!

You'll just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide which combination is best for you! But, all things considered, I wouldn't trade marina life for anything else!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote