View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
For some reason, I think this list pertains to COMMERCIAL Trailers, NOT Privately owned boat or utility trailers.

Someone mentioned requirements for a CDL for "trailers" over 10-12,000 pounds. CDL stands for: "Commercial Drivers Licence". How would a privately owned boat trailer fit the Commercial category..??

Commercially owned trucks over a certain weight require a CDL. Privately owned Motor Homes ...the larger ones are well over 25,000 pounds and don't require a Special Licence as far as I know. So much to get confused about......... NB
I can assure you 100% that this has to do with any trailer that is registered at 3000lbs or higher, you only get into a CDL issue when you are over 12,000lbs. We have three trailers for the company that are rated at 8000lbs each (commercial) and myself and my father have two rated for over 3000lbs each (personal), they are required to have inspections (I also hinted to something above) The 3000lb limit also brings into play the requirement for brakes, which also happens to be the main thing they are looking to inspect.

My analogy above between the home owner and the contractor was that a commercial driver is held to a higher standard than non-commercial, so you better have all the required items on you or DOT will throw the book at you. The entire RSA is in the link above, the trailer section is in my post, it does not descriminate between happy homeowners and commercial applications, its all on weight.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote