Thread: Loon Update
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Hummm this is interesting I never really thought about the heat from the stand point of getting hot enough for a loon to abandon its nesting site. It sad to some extent however also nature at its finest. That is the hardest thing when trying to get a species to recover is that mother nature does things that often hamper the process.

Now this brings me to an interesting question... Now personally I have never been in any position to be by a location on a regular basis where I could view a nesting site. But if someone was and they noted that they believed a site was abandoned, of course my recommendation would be to call the Loon Center.... However with loons has there been any history of rescuing abandoned eggs and hatching them? With a further adder of releasing them back into the wild?
The biologists suggested that they don't want human intrusion and that we should let nature take its' course. You do raise a good idea though. They did speak about having certain loon volunteers marking the top of the eggs with an X. If they go back the following day and the egg still has the X on top then the nest has probably been abandoned. When loons return to their nest they always turn the eggs over. If the X is still on top then the eggs have not been turned over. I do not know how long an egg can be viable without a loon nesting on it.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote