View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
The Citizen's article quotes NFPA 96, (NFPA = National Fire Prevention Association), and is a Life Safety code.

Just to clarify things - this is a national code - not a state or town law or ordinance. Commercial cooking operations are inspected and if they are found to have deficiencies, they must correct them. If they don't correct their deficiencies, then they can be shut down because they are deemed to be unsafe. A bad review by NFPA can effect a businesses' insurance rates, financial back, and other aspects of business, in a negative manner.

NFPA came into being around the turn of the century because of workers being put in unsafe (hazardous) working conditions. Little was done to ensure there were proper fire exits, unlocked doors (exits), sprinkler systems, safe electrical wiring done by professionals, fire extinguishers, fire-retardant clothing, chemical or oil proof shoes... and on, and on... you get the idea by now, I'm sure.

In a nutshell: if people used more common sense and didn't create unsafe work environments where others (employees) are put in harm's way, then NFPA's list of regulations would be short.

It is my opinion that the town manager in Meredith gave a "glossed over" version of the regulation, and I would wager that The Citizen's report writing about NFPA didn't read the regulation cited by the manager at all, which specifies that the hood and vent system is needed when other criteria are met, and especially where there is grease-laden air due to the fryers.

NFPA codes are scientifically based. I know some of you are saying we're in a "nanny state", and you're welcome to your opinion - I respect that. But I also respect that these codes make a business accountable for safety, help to keep insurance rates low, and improve work conditions in a non-union based way. NFPA codes are applied in more aspects of your world than you may know - restaurants, schools, hospitals, homes, businesses, and so on.

If you want to read NFPA 96, click HERE
If that were the case, then using science we'd have fire suppression systems on our cars near the fuel tank and under the hood.

I think the better way to go at this is to require newer designs of the fryers themselves.....

When you retroactively impact things, it's a big deal. I deal with NFPA related to electrical codes and I can tell you that there are many things in the code book that don't do one thing for safety.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote