View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #34
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Mom and Dad

Both parents stubbornly rely on LRGH geriatic physicians for all their diagnostics. My dad had problems with his urine and the doctor played around with all kinds of medications for a year and a half. One weekend he had to go to to the emergency room at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, NH while he was visiting me. A quick blood test confirms a major problem and was quickly scanned. he had cancer all along and it had spread from his kidneys onto the liver. This should have been taken care of from the start! He died a few months later. But at least they caught the problem and gave him the correct comfort.

As for my Mom, she had problems with her stomach. Again, all kinds of drugs, including medicine for depressing and sleep pills. She spent the holidays one year with my sister in NC. My sister had to take her to the Winston-Salem Baptist Hospital that specializes in geriatic care. After a checkup, the doctor ask what medications she is taking. Not only was she over medicated but the combination of the medication is not approved to be taken together! After a scan, they found she has a tumor on her stomach and it had spread to her lower intestine. Again it should have been caught early. She died a few months later.

Again, this year, I see no LRGH physician in the Top Doctors line up in NH Magazine.

So if anyone is getting great care, he or she is very lucky. I would not take my chance on luck.