View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Coastal Laker

Default Long story

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
elaborate please
Ok, you asked for it!

Basically, car's been making a noise for a while. Thought it was a repeat of transmission problems - transmission was already replaced once. Had a minimum of three visits to the dealer that we can recall, (I'm actually in the process of trying to put together all those records since they conveniently didn't keep any). On the first visit, they couldn't duplicate the problem, 2nd visit, technician drove car home and still couldn't duplicate problem, 3rd visit I drove in and had tech come with me, still couldn't find a problem, before 4th visit, hubby did oil change and learned car had sucked in a bunch of oil, as I didn't have much left in there and it wasn't leaking anywhere. He completes the oil change and calls the dealership to say we have a problem. Then, driving to work before dropping it off again, my oil light flickers and I'm down a full quart after only 55 miles. Hyundia looks in and made an immediate assumption of a lack of maintenance and a need for a new engine. They refused to source the real problem unless we paid for them to look. We didn't agree since we take good care of our vehicles and use high quality synthetic oil. We do our own oil changes, buy stuff in bulk and was told that unless we can prove the oil changes were done when we said they were, they won't do any warranty work. So, we're liars in their eyes. It was even said that even if I bought oil and filters, it doesn't mean I used them! So, short of video evidence or a jiffy lube receipt, we're done. But they'll gladly take a few thousand from us to proceed.

What really burns me up is I've only had this car 18 months. I drive a lot of miles for my commute so I'm already up to 54k miles. I bought this car because I needed something reliable. It has yet to be reliable. In this time frame, I've had the transmission replaced within the first 6 months after several service visits, a clunking in the rear-end they could never find the cause for (although it's understood intermittent problems are hard to find), a safety recall I was told really wasn't a safety issue, and all four tires were defective and replaced, then this. AND then I find out recently from others I was talking to that the sudden acceleration that happens from time to time in my car isn't normal. I just thought the car was extra peppy on occasion. Some folks have had accidents. I haven't even gotten to address that yet. Regardless, I'm still without use of my car because I don't have $6k for an engine that I'm not even sure I need.

There are a few different things that could cause the issues that are suspected with my car. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect a reputable dealer to first accuse us of neglecting our car, before really identifying the problem. If we're so neglectful, why'd I bother to bring it in upteen times over the last 18 months to have every little noise checked out? I've had a lot of different cars in my life and the two others in my driveway each with over 130k miles on them are doing just fine, maintained equally as well as my Sante Fe and are in better shape and more reliable. I wish I never traded in my last vehicle for this one. What a mistake!

Basically, Irwin Hyundai has surely lost money on my car given the number of visits over the last 18 months. The service guys have actually been great, but they don't make the decisions or focus on the bottom line. And in the end, that's what it boils down to. My loyalty to brand is of no concern - they know they've lost me forever and surely don't care about word of mouth impact. There will be plenty other happy Hyundai car buyers. Many don't have any issues at all. What burns me is that the occasional "Friday" car is no big deal to Hyundai corporate - who I called to try and resolve this issue. I ended up with a condescending Supervisor who quoted me book and page of the manual like I was some 5 year old being scolded. I have never been so angry in my entire life. So much for standing behind the product. Warranty should say "We stand behind our product until it gets too expensive for us." Hyundai is too big to care. After all, no one can make everyone happy.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coastal Laker For This Useful Post: