View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 AM   #47
Pepper

For a number of years we lived in the Northern Heights complex on 11B. Directly behind our unit was a snowmobile trail. On winter evenings we would build a fire in the fireplace and sit on the couch facing the sliding glass doors overlooking the trail. All the lights off, and just the fireplace for illumination. We absolutely loved watching the snowmobile lights winding over the hills and curves of the trail right in front of us. Of the hundreds of snowmobiles we watched travel behind us, only a very few were ever audible. This added to the overall experience, making it somewhat mystical - silent lights in the night, if you will. Of those that did have loud or excessively whiny engines - those were the ones that usually raced up and down the edge of 11B like maniacs, and a few were ticketed by the PD for their infractions. The point of my post is this: the vast majority of the snowmobilers are law-abiding, outdoors loving, peaceful travelers. It is the very few that give a bad name to the many - just as it is with most things (like motorcycles for instance). I sincerely hope that a resolution to the trail issue in Ossippee, and in Canada, can be found. I would hate to see so many loose their opportunity to enjoy mother nature in their favorite way!