View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #34
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Many have waterskied happily behind just 20-HP; conversely, nobody needs 700-HP to waterski. (But oversized boats are seen waterskiing a little too often inside Lake Winnipesaukee's bays and coves—impacting shorelines, paddlers, and sailing craft).
I remember skiing behind a friend's 16' aluminum boat with an 18 hp Evinrude. Larger people need hydrofoils to get up, or ski off the dock.

I rarely see high HP boats doing watersports, occasionally, but very rare. Some pocket cruisers go tubing, and yes, their wakes at lower speeds can get pretty large. I must admit, I haven't seen a GF boat pulling a skier.

Are you saying boat sizes should be limited for skiing?

Quote:
A recent law change means damage must exceed $2000 before a report must be filed with the NHMP. While this change has reduced NHMP paperwork, it also has the effect of reducing collision statistics to the USCG. In other words, through a stroke of the NH Legislature's pen, the U. S. Coast Guard has instantly made NH lakes "much safer" as no $2000+ kayaks have been struck for years.

Why this case was reported seems clear; however, among the possibilities are that the waterski-boat sustained damage also (pushing the damage beyond $2000), the kayak (only) is valued at over $2000 or that something bad happened.
So before this law changed, there were a lot of collisions being reported on the lake? Since this was a "recent" change, there must be tons of stats from prior years.

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...dent_stats.htm

I'm not being argumentative here APS, I just haven't seen anything that supports your cause.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote