View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 AM   #33
ApS

Cool Waterskiing at 22-MPH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...I really don't see your point above..."
Many have waterskied happily behind just 20-HP; conversely, nobody needs 700-HP to waterski. (But oversized boats are seen waterskiing a little too often inside Lake Winnipesaukee's bays and coves—impacting shorelines, paddlers, and sailing craft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
The NHMP are investigating ?!? Hmmmm, somewhere I heard that these things weren't investigated unless the damage was over $2000. Musta been one expensive kayak.
A nice Cailou, a kayak I considered briefly, costs $7000.

An Old Town Canoe today costs $7500!

A recent law change means damage must exceed $2000 before a report must be filed with the NHMP. While this change has reduced NHMP paperwork, it also has the effect of reducing collision statistics to the USCG. In other words, through a stroke of the NH Legislature's pen, the U. S. Coast Guard has instantly made NH lakes "much safer" as no $2000+ kayaks have been struck for years.

Why this case was reported seems clear; however, among the possibilities are that the waterski-boat sustained damage also (pushing the damage beyond $2000), the kayak (only) is valued at over $2000 or that something bad happened.

Last edited by ApS; 09-23-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Add Old Town Canoe price
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote