View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
ApS

Thumbs up There's MORE Than One Lesson Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
This may be an example where a PFD may not save a life. It will be hard to dive out of the way in time if the wearer had to take it off to dive!
I described one such event four years ago: You don't even have time to stand up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...Motorcycles sometimes get hit by other drivers who later claim that they never even saw the motorcycle..."
I helplessly witnessed—and described—one very close call here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...You can give Capt B all the time in the world to see the hazard but if he refuses to look..."
Watch from your dock, as I do: You'll see that there are more than a few boats that find it fashionable to cover their windshields with paint!

In that sense, an opaque windshield is a perfect excuse to not have seen a kayak. So it wouldn't take a "determined fool" at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
"...If you end up in the water without a PFD, most likely the wind is kicking up waves and by the time you surface, the boat with PFD attached will have been blown away..."
If all that's being blown away is pieces of kayak, it definitely makes sense to not be wearing the PFD! (Especially on lakes where the shore—or rescue—is not far away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
"...When crossing from Welch up to the forty islands we ofter encounter a boat on plane that does not appear to see us 'till pretty close..."
You definitely need a "warning-CD" to reflect the sun! Your small-boat safety isn't fun-'n-games any longer.

CDs are fragile, but I'm using epoxy to glue two CDs "back-to-back" now for sturdiness.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote