View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #29
znh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I agree with ishoot308.

I fish from my Kayak almost every morning and I do cast around docks and boats (kind of). I have never hit a boat or dock as I know not to get too close. I would not want someone hitting my boat or dock with hooks or anything else. I never cast around swim platforms (don't want to leave a hook behind for some kid later) and I never cast with anyone in the water, or loons for that matter. Inflatables get lots of room.

I often strike up conversation with land owners (I am one too) that are enjoying their coffee, reading, painting or on their computer. I always apologize for disturbing their quiet morning. I have found this a nice way to open dialog and almost always results in friendly chatter. I have never had anyone comment about where or when or how I am fishing. I have even had multiple home owners tell me to get closer to their docks as they see 'big' fish hanging out all the time.

I do not have the patients for rude people and I believe that the onus is on the fisherman and home owner to live in harmony with one another. Either party can easily be a jerk and this makes both parties miserable.

It is perfectly legal for a fisherman to walk on and around someone else's dock (high water line). I just would not do it unless there were extreme circumstances.

I am sure there are plenty of fisherman who are real @$$es, just like I am sure the same can be said for many home owners. I am also sure that if I was more inconsiderate, I would find others to be the same.
Where do you go out in your kayak ?

I also fish often in the early morning from my kayak and will weave in and out of mooring fields, go near the docks and stuff but would NEVER even think of casting near anyone boat's or other property. I only cast around docks that have no boats or PWC's there. I've also only experienced good people waving or saying a simple good morning, I think if they see my intentions are good they have no problem with me being close to their house.

As for the OP, next time they come just start blasting some loud crappy music or start slapping the water with a paddle or anything that will make them think you are scaring the fish away...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote