View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #31
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winndow View Post

Why should boat owners be singled out? Are hunting license revenues going to the general fund??-No. How about OHRV/ATV/Snowmobile reg money?-No!
No and here is why.

Hunting and fishing licenses, as well as OHRV and Snowmobile reg goes to Fish and Game. If the state were to merge the fish and game into the mainstream government and thus have access to the budget via the general fund. The State of NH Fish and Game would lose millions of dollars in federal grant money annually.

There is a reason that Fish and Game departments all around this country are not tied into general fund budgeting and are seperate entities and that is it. This is a Federal requirement, it prevents a state from setting up a conservation department just to access additional funds for use on whatever.

Look it up on their site. The F&G receives 50K out of the general fund each year and that is it. All other fund raising is through license sales, registration of OHRV and snowmobiles as well as fund raising and donations.

The Link http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Insi...pie_charts.htm

I do not know what it costs to register a boat in this state, but I can speak to what I do know. Between my hunting and fishing licenses and registering my ATV (which is basically useless as there are very few places to use off private property) I will spend around $200 this year +/- $10 or $15, and I did that last year and the 13 years prior to that.

Anything regarding F&G in NH is a "pay to play" type of setup. I choose to pay for my licenses and reg and therefore I get to play. You are not paying for my access to these activities unless you also pay for a license or OHRV reg to F&G.

I am just answering the F&G issue, I have know idea about the other issue you bring up and I am sure someone else will be able to respond to that aspect of your post.

Personally, I think Misty's comment about MP and F&G merging would make more sense, but could they both operate on a budget that is solely self funded. I don't know, but F&G can barely fund itself now, let alone adding in the budget needs of MP. It would make more sense, but sense has never really been mainstream in Government.

Last edited by jmen24; 04-15-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: The Link
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote