View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Just think for those that were on the lake in the fifties and early sixties. The lake police were by towns, the biggest patrol boat was the steel hull cabins and they took care of the bouys. We had officer Cates in Alton and I think he new every boat and family in Alton.

I recall coming home from the service in 1966 and I hitched a ride from Reading Mass to Alton Bay, if my memory serves me right took me about 2 and a half hours. Marine Patrol was sitting at Downings getting ready to do his eight oclock rounds. I hated walking on 28A at dark kind of dangerous, (and spookie) so I asked him to give me a ride. I was in uniform so he did, nice guy. He said there was a boat up there he has not seen much of this summer. Well he pulled into our dock and I seen him eyeing the Puddy Tat I thanked him and see you on the lake.

Now we have or had marine patrol and who knows who they are. Next it sounds like State Police. I can see them saying step out of your boat you gonna put one leg up and touch your nose with your left toe while you count to ten backwards.
Thanks for the memories, sir!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote