View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Winndow

Thumbs down State Police absorbs Marine Patrol!!

If an amendment to the House budget bill that is being voted on tomorrow passes, the Marine Patrol will be absorbed by State Police!! The amendment also eliminates the salary of Dave Barrett, the director of the Division.

This is a serious blow to the lake and its users if you ask me! My $$$ is now going to an agency that focuses on the needs of the lake. State Police will see marine law enforcement as an after-thought. And if you think Marine Patrol cops are heavy handed...just wait.

You also have to ask if this isn't just a move to take the $$$ that Marine Patrol just received from the registration increases to cover the serious deficit facing the State Police.

And to all you new republican/free stater representatives who are waving the "no new fees/taxes" flag, what do you call the 1 million cut from the Marine Patrol budget thats going to the general fund?? In my opinion, that 1 million of reg $$$ now becomes a tax. I don't want my boating money to go to the general fund until snowmobile dollars, hunting dollars, and other recreational dollars go there too!

It was just a few years ago that the NH Lakes Assoc. faught to change the funding source for Marine Patrol from the general fund to dedicated funds. Thats because MP was always an afterthought, never had money, or enough people. Are we going to see the old wooden buoys again? Dim flashing lights? And the lack of officers that we experienced year after year?

Looks like this will be a lost cause in the house, but I'm emailing my reps tonight. Lets hope the Senate has more sense. My two cents...what do you think??
Winndow is offline   Reply With Quote