View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 11:16 AM   #160
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The problem here is that this problem doesn't have a singular solution. The only clear problem is continued development of the area.....

There are steps that can be taken, to reduce environmental impacts of continued development...... Look at Maine, it its laws regarding direct water front, and leaving a natural buffer... and what you hope is that over time enough reduction in environmental impacts, turns things around. Better drainage plans, natural buffers, education, etc. are all needed. I haven't planned anything or been part of any project in a while in NH, so exactly what is being required these days I am not up to speed on.

What I know is what I see people still being allowed to do, and that is develop right to the shoreline... Good bad or indifferent time will tell.... I have however seen something with some development in my area, that give me hope that people are waking up.... I see improvement being made, that lead to better drainage solutions, Home Owners opting to purchase land on the other side of the road, and put better septic systems in. (this isn't a solution for everyone because of the money involved, but it is good to see)..... I still am concerned in my area about fertilizer application, but hope that landscape companies are trying to follow the rules...

I don't want to see development regulated to the point that development is hampered by it..... But continued regulations that have been shown to help with watershed health and quality have to be enforced and created...

Last outdoor showers, come on really.... people have been bathing in lakes and streams for generations..... I would rather see more outdoor showers, and less people bringing soap down to the lake front.... have even been giving this some consideration myself.... done properly the water just leaches into the ground... verses running on top of it....