View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #32
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Brk-Int with due respect, the reputation thing is hooey. I don't know these guys from Adam, but this happens everywhere. You really have to watch or you won't notice.

The reason it's a small amount is because people won't fight as hard for a small amount. The reason it's a normal wear item is because people expect to have this stuff wear out. The reason there was no call because, the customer might have said no, or the customer might have asked for the worn parts.

People like this really don't consider it wrong, the parts are worn, they will need to be replaced. Might as well do it now when I can make the bucks now, instead of next season, when the customer might go somewhere else or even do it himself.

To be sure 280ss should ask to see the work order, it should say when and where they attemped to contact the customer. It won't say it because they didn't and everyone in that shop knows they need customers permission to do a repair.

This is my guess and opinion, I wasn't there and have no facts beyond the words in this thread.
The marina appears to have fallen down on the job by doing unauthorized work and leaving the boat owner's boat at its slip for several weeks before contacting him to say that it was ready for use. The situation was made worse by Ted's failure to adequately apologize for his oversights. Not great work on the part of the marina but nothing outrageous either.

My feeling is the boat owner is technically correct, but he has overreacted. We have all been in similar situations and with the benefit of time and/or experience realize the other party wasn't being unreasonable. Perhaps a bit sloppy but not unreasonable. The boat owner could apologize but that is probably not a viable option since the marina has most certainly read this thread. At the end of the day he won't recover much, if any, of his money; his Fourth of July weekend was likely ruined as he fretted about the situation and he has to deal with finding a new marina in the fall. Hopefully, he will come to his senses and drop his complaints before the situation gets worse.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: