Thread: Anchor issue
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
NoBozo

This thread reminds me of something that I'll bet no one ever thinks about. The OP mentioned he was anchored near Bear Island when he fowled his anchor.

I suspect Bear Island has an underwater electric power cable running to the island from "Somewhere"..?? The Bizer chart doesn't seem to mention any undersea cables which ARE delt with on coastal salt water charts.

Maybe there are signs on shore WARNING: Submerged Power Cable. DO NOT ANCHOR.

I picked up a power cable in Newpoert Harbor many years ago. I verified what it was when I saw the Billboard sized sign on shore.

I had a CQR Plow anchor which can be "Walked" out from under the cable if you know HOW TO do it.

Just "Pay Out".. and "Back Straight Aft" in reverse... on ALL the anchor rode you have in the locker....Gently. Then... turn the boat at 90 degrees to the rode and walk the boat off to the side under power while keeping light tension on the rode. Just keep headway on..ALWAYS with a light tension on the rode..and follow the radias (Arc) until you are Abeam of the anchor. Continue around the Arc until you feel the anchor slide free from under the cable. It worked for me. NB

PS: You need a PLOW anchor to do this. There used to be a Danforth anchor called a "Sure Ring" which might work using it's sliding shackle in the shank. Probably not so much with a Cable.

EDIT: "Sure Ring"

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50322
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote