View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Laker View Post
If you should ever be faced with a nuisance porcupine, don't shoot it! Well, not anywhere near your home anyway. My dad had one chewing the wooden steps on the house and couldn't get rid of it, no matter what was tried. He shot it with his small shotgun and quills went everywhere. For months the dog kept getting quills in its paws regardless of cleaning up the mess. Some of those quills are so fine, you just can't see them. House is in the woods - with pine trees.
I have never seen that happen and I hunted them throughout my teenage years for spending money as there was a bounty of 50¢ in Maine for each right front paw and nose. We shot them mostly out of hardwood trees mostly popular. Another good place was in the cracks of ledge where one would pull them out with a long stick with a hook on the end and when outside you would hit it on the nose with a baseball bat. Thanks for bringing up some great memories that happened over 62 years ago. Kids back then would do most anything for a few nickles.