View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
What specifically does someone who wants to rent a boat have to do to get a boating license?

Do they have to take the class then pass a test as we all do now to have a boating license or are they allowed to with some type of rental license?

I see rental boats out there all the time but always wondered how it was done.

Thanks
The state's website does not seem to mention the specifics of the test. If I recall correctly it is a 20 question multiple choice test and you must get 80% correct. There is no driving test for the temporary certificate. Passing the test gets you a one-time 2 week temporary Safe Boater Education Certificate (not a license).

You shouldn't assume that all or even most rental boats are being operated with temporary certificates:

1. Many renters are experienced boaters who choose to rent rather than own. That includes me. I have 35 years of boating and ownership experience and using rentals now makes more sense for me.

2. Many renters are repeat customers and have obtained a permanent certificate since the temporary certificate is just good for one two week period.

3. When they make their reservation new renters are strongly encouraged to get a permanent certificate before they arrive so they won't risk forfeiting their deposit and reservation if they can't pass. You'd have a very disappointed family if Daddy can't pass the test.

Also keep in mind that many permanent certificate holders didn't have to take a class and proctored exam. Before 2007 they could be obtained online by passing a multiple choice test. Like all permanent Safe Boater Education Certificates they are good for life.

I'm not familiar with how Thurston's handles all this and I'm not speaking for them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post: