View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Too each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The "too small for Winnipesaukee" meme always surprises me. Winni is a big place with lots of different water and boatings styles.

Sure if you want to always be able to cross the widest part of the Broards in the worst weather, then you need a big boat with a closed bow or a self bailing fishing boat.

But a huge number of people buy other boats that are very safe in normal weather or in the more protected areas. I never owned a pontoon, so I don't have meaningful feedback on that boat, but I see tons of pontoons that size on Winnipesaukee.

I have a 12" kayak, is that too small for Winnipesaukee?

I checked boattrader.com and they only have a couple 22' Weeres, one around $13K but its a 2008.
I just made a point and a valid point. If you want to stay in a sheltered cove then that is great, but if one wants to enjoy the lake then a 22 pontoon is a very small boat.
Since how the boat would be used was not provided then the automatic assumption was it would be used out on the lake.
I see you live in Hollis so you don’t see just how often the wind kicks up the lake on a daily basis. I’ve got a 25 foot boat that’s been forced to be docked before and had many a day when it has been a rough ride.
You are absolutely correct in stating there are many places on the lake where a small boat works great; I was just stating that for all around use on all parts of the lake any 22 foot boat can be a rough ride on almost any busy weekend day and many weekdays.
Try coming into the weirs on a calm day. Normal boat traffic produces waves in the order or 3 feet high coming at you from all directions. Even a great boat captain can have problems in that area.
Many are going up to much larger boats which make for some really rough days even without the wind.
I know from the Gilford, Weirs side of the lake it is almost impossible not to encounter a rough ride when venturing out into the lake due to the direction the wind generally blows.
It isn't always the size of the boat jrc it also can be the ingnorance of the captain piloting the boat and where they take it that make it dangerous for themselves and others.