View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

secondcurve.... I'm surprised by your response...

"Please stop this protectionist, liberal nonsense.... Steve, I expected more from you!"

I've never heard anyone berated for supporting the local economy. I'm flabbergasted by your post, really.

Yes, it's a global economy. That's exactly why I prefer to do local business, when possible.

When I have to make decisions on budget items and warrant articles for my town and school, and I look at where our money is going that's not a department within the town or school (like to a service contract), two of the things I look for is (1) affordability; (2) location.

Keeping money in the town, county, and state is just good business.

Local businesses employ local people. The money they bring in or pay out to their employees goes back to the local economy.

Doing business locally keeps a community unique. It reduces an environmental impact - less shipping, trucking, etc. and no postage, right?

You establish a relationship with the business owner - the guy your bought your tires from on Saturday might be you kids' baseball coach next spring or sits next to you in church on Sunday.

You can bet you're going to get better service by doing business locally - not to mention the craftsmanship. Because of the global economy, the local artist has to have a great product or s/he will be out of business pretty quickly. And then there's taxes...

Why not keep your tax money within NH? (Considering we have no sales tax, what's to lose?!)

And look at what NH has to offer for great products/gifts... whether it's Grade-A maple syrup, handmade soaps, pewter ornaments, jewelry, gift certificates to skiing or restaurants or museums or for other local services - why not make a point to look for that special something for that special someone within our state boarder? We live in a unique state - celebrate it!

I've watched too many great towns and cities in my home state of Maine, and now my home state of New Hampshire close their mills and factories because of this global economy. It's not a liberal mantra; it's a conservative one. I am no fan of NAFTA and what's it done to us.

It's a sad day when my LLBean sweater is made in China and my Bass shoes are made in Mexico.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post: