View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default WinnFabs/Laconia Citizen Letter to the Editor

I found this on the Laconia Citizen website! I can not believe the crap that I read and the endorsement of the Laconia Citizen Editor without the paper forcing Winnfabs to actually name a single source they "quote"!

Journalism? And they wonder why newspaper circulation is dropping!

The WinnFabs/Laconia Citizen editorial article does not limit itself to areas where there is a safe passage law already in effect since it does not say where the survey was taken or who was quoted.

So, the New Hampshire Marine Patrol research is flawed, but this "National survey" is accurate and reflects what is happening on Lake Winnipesaukee? I think not!!!

I don't see any reference to boater education, reduction in the number of boating accidents or lack of accidents involving speed. OR NEW HAMPSHIRE!

None of the WinnFabs "Quotes" are attributed to ANY law enforcement agency or organization or anyone else for that matter!

Read for yourself!

Quote:
Letters to the Editor - May 14, 2008
Article Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Family Alliance backs boat speed limit in N.H.

Editor, The Citizen: WinnFABS (Winnipesaukee Family Alliance for Boating Safety) went back to authorities around the country at lakes where there are speed limits—let's listen to their experience and wisdom and pass House Bill 847, the 45/25 mph boating speed limits for Lake Winnipesaukee:

Summary of WinnFABS' Followup Survey with Boating Authorities Around the U.S. at lakes where there are speed limits:

1. What are the positive effects of a speed limit? "Enables control of lake, particularly at busy times. Speed creates a potential for harm. Allows for governing the conditions of boat movement."

"Speed is an issue! Speed limits improve reaction time cutting down on accidents and injury. Boats have not changed in 40 years other than to increase power. They lack any safety equipment (like that required in cars; seat belts, airbags, padded dash, etc.) so boaters have no protection. For every fatality there are 20 injury accidents and most are head injuries which can result in drowning. Speed and recklessness are the most important factors."

"Less accidents and less shoreline erosion. There is a real need to control activity and speed to keep the public safe."

2. Are there any negative effects?"Really none, you can accomplish all of the outdoor boating recreations (other than high speed racing) at speeds less than 45 mph. Water skiing and tubing are done no faster than 25-30. That's plenty fast enough."

3. Do your officers like having a speed limit, does it contribute to their effectiveness?" Yes, the lake's reputation for strict enforcement creates a very high level of compliance by boaters."

"Speed limits come into play with an increase in congestion. Speed limits are another tool in the enforcement belt."

"A speed limit is not a single silver bullet, often it provides a reason to stop a boat and the opportunity to check for other violations."

"Yes — in the long run, it is less work as there is less negative behavior on the water and less injury accidents. Boats have no brakes, you cannot stop as you can in an automobile."

4. Do speed limits make lakes safer?"I believe they do. It would be chaos otherwise"

"Very much so, it equalizes the boating abilities among different boating populations (age, experience, size of boat). Limits create stability and equality on the water."

5. Do you get any feedback from boaters on speed limits? "No comments from boaters. Law is just accepted. Businesses appreciate the enforcement on the lake — no negative comments from any businesses, not even those servicing boats."

6. Other comments?" I think it is a moral obligation to protect people on the lake."

"I think there is a significant comparison of lakes and highways. Stopping distances are critical — speed creates an opportunity for injury and death."

"TOW USA has done a study that shows people give up boating when they see a lack of safety on the water. The boating industry is slow to accept this reaction."

"45 mph is plenty fast. More than that and the boat does not have much contact with the water."

"The boat industry is a major impediment to all boating laws and that NASBLA, being financially dependent upon the manufacturers, is not going to lead the charge for change."

"The most dangerous situations occur with the combination of fast and slow craft. Perceived reaction times and ability are so different. The only choice is to slow down the fast boats to improve safety."

It just makes good common sense to pass House Bill 847.

Sandy Helve, president

WinnFABS

Last edited by Airwaves; 05-16-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Attributing the article to WinnFabs and Laconia Citizen