View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Outboard shifting issue ?

Having outboard shifting issue ?
Engine: Johnson 90 HP 2-stroke early 2000's vintage.

Ran boat on the lake for about couple hours in the morning, then came back to house for lunch.

Jumped into boat after lunch for an full afternoon on the water.
Shifted boat (from console) into forward, and the boat started to go into 'reverse' ! I thought I was imagining things, so put gearshift into neutral.
I then shifted into 'forward' again, again the boat started to go into 'reverse' !
Killed the engine, checked under the console gearshift for a loose or broken cable,'all good there'. I then checked all cable connections to engine, from shift/throttle back, 'all ok there also' !

Removed the engine cover, and moved shift gear at console into forward, appears to be shifting ok, did the same in reverse, all appears ok also. Repeated this process several times with same results.

So if from all appearances everything is functioning, what can be causing the engine to go into 'reverse' when I put gearshift into 'forward' ? Really perplexing. All I can think of it may be some type of problem with a 'shifter fork' in the outboard lower unit? I pray it's not $$$

One last thing..... Up until now, the engine shifting has been working fine. I did notice this time, that when I place shift lever into any gear, I don't hear that usual 'clunk' type sound moving from gear to gear. It now just seems to slide into gear withoout too much resistance?

Will be bringing boat to local marine tech guru to trouble-shoot, but asking the Forum for their thoughts.

As always your feedback is greatly appreciaited !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote