Thread: Dock Jack
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
What you are looking at is a long leg house jack with a cradle on top instead of a plate. If you come across one of these let me know, we have been looking for quite some time. I know of some older ones, but last I checked they were still not for sale.

You can do the same thing with a hydraulic bottle jack and a 4x4 cut to the remaining length. Use the jack above water with the post going into the soil below it, that way you do not need to go underwater to release the pressure. You could put the jack underwater as they are sealed units, just wipe it down when you are done. Just remember when jacking any heavy object, keep things as plumb as possible to keep from shifting things around.
I was able to reconnect with the folks who had the jack and they have ordered one for me for $120. If you are interested, contact Ryan Croteau at Lakeshore Property Maintenance (http://lakeshorepropertymaintenance.com/home). Straightening and leveling the dock is pretty much an annual event and this jack is going to make the job much easier.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EllyPoinster For This Useful Post: