View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Don's Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
There was a thread recently ( I looked quickly but couldn't find it) that brought up this issue and if I remember correctly a moderator stated that although a business owner could not start a thread in order to promote or solicit business they were allowed to respond to a thread.
I believe, per my understanding, that this poster you referred to is within forum rules.
Hi I found this from Don:

However, it is perfectly OK for contractors or other service providers to reply to questions and offer their services. If someone is looking for a plumber I would expect plumbers to reply and say "I'm great, use me". Some self-promotion is expected in replies like that and I don't consider them advertisements. Connecting contractors and customers is an important function of the Home Improvement section.

When a new member posts a question and a business replies I carefully check their IP and host information to make sure they are not the same person. That has happened a few times but is very rare.

As a general rule, contractors and other service providers should not start threads but are welcome to reply.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote