View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
isleofsand

Default A.c.t.s.

In the Lakes Region, we have a local organization that raises service dogs for people with mobility issues, from balance problems to wheelchair use, A.C.T.S. This wonderful organization was started in 2005 by Dot Hyde-Williams, and has since graduated seven dogs from the program. Each of the puppy raisers is a volunteer, giving about 2 years of training time to each dog they raise for the program.

This year, I became a raiser/trainer for Callie. Since I live with the family, I also get to watch Westin and Phoenix grow and learn. Westin is Callie's brother (litter mate), not that you can tell when you look at them! It has been such an education learning about the tasks, the psychology of dogs and what it really takes to train a puppy.

When we are doing public access training, which is when we take the dogs out in public, I often have people stop me and ask questions. One of the frequent ones is "How can you ever give them up?". These dogs are trained to help someone else. Yes, the trainers and their families grow to love these dogs, we know that these dogs are meant to go on to bigger and brighter futures, to truly help someone who needs them. It is such a joy to see these dogs with their "person", to see how much they love and help this person!

Please check out this wonderful local organization! They are always looking for great puppy raisers/trainers who are willing to put in the time and love to these incredible dogs.