View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltony View Post
Anyone have any updates on walking out to Bear? My brothers and I are planning to trek out to south Bear next weekend. Our house is more or less directly across the water from Cattle Landing, but I've heard that they have a bubbler around the new dock there, so we'd probably try to get onto the ice a few hundred feet north.
Also, any information about snow depth on the ice/on the islands? I know earlier in the season it was pretty bare, but I'm guessing with the recent storm (and maybe a few more inches before next weekend), it might be pretty deep, and we don't have snow shoes.
We spent Saturday and Sunday on the Island.
My wife walked with the dog from Cattle to our place on the south past Church Cove. You can park at Cattle and get on the ice just south of the dock, it was a little slushy adjacent to the dock but passable by foot.
I launched the snowmobile at Sheps and was able to get on the ice at the far end past the Showroom building.
There was a good 10 inches on the island prior to Sunday, by the time we left on Sunday there was another 8-10 inches of new snow. The trek back for my wife took a little longer. I went back and forth with the snowmobile 5-6 times to pack a trail but with the new snow slush was becoming an issue.
Looks like more snow coming before this weekend.
Good Luck.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post: