View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
One more thing about the noise. I guess a lot of one's perception has to do with where you reside. For example, if you live on the east side of Rattlesnake Is. then the traffic is less likely to be hugging the shore and the noise issue will be less of a problem. If you live near the entrance to Winter Harbor then it will be a different story. I would be impressed if SBONH were to embrace tougher noise standards (lower decibel limits) with tougher fines for violators. Yes, the safety inspections and all is a good start but what will really win over the skeptics from the other side, as per my initial post on this thread, will be a committment to making the performance boats less intrusive to people who come to the lake for a more tranquil experience. And yes, one could argue that if the noise bothers you than you should move to a quieter lake yet many were here before noise was this big a problem. It's unlikely that I'll move away from family and long time friends...most people will fight to preserve what is important to them rather than throwing in the towel and running away. SOTD
Sunset, please understand that SBONH was founded to make the lake a safer place not to make the lake a more tranquil place (that may be a side benefit). We are an organization that wants to see existing boating laws enforced evenly. We want to see the uneducated boaters be educated.

Regarding the noise issue, I support the use of switchable exhausts. I support MP performing testing of boats with questionable exhausts much as I do with the State Police checking V-Twin motorcycles (which I also own and ride).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote