View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64
Winnipesaukee...You're an **** and I expect a full written apology for your stupid and inconsiderate words....

...you're even stupider than most of your posts...

...a few idiots in this forum .

I expect a written apology for your blatant disrespect on this public, family forum and will be writing the Webmaster regarding your outburst. My comment was semi-sarcastic, as we on this forum know niether many of the facts, nor who it was who sunk the boat, and our comments were just based on the little information we had.

Under other circumstances, I'd write my opinion on how a new boat should never experience a "catastrophic failure," and that it is the responsibility of the skipper to inspect his boat before shoving off, but feel that would enrage you further, so I digress.

Enough of that.

Canis, regarding the wind, you are absolutely right. Winds can be very different on different parts of the lake because of the topography. A fine example of this is a section of the Columbia River called "The Gorge." It has canyon walls on both sides, and commonly, the pressure on each side is different, creating wind, which is channeled between the rocks. So if you are standing on the top of the canyon, the wind might only be 10 knots, but at the bottom on the water it might be 30. The sailing is amazing there.

Wind is a very tricky thing. I don't know where your wind meter is set up, but on many, there may be errors due to wind shadows (if you house is east of the meter and the wind happens to be coming from the east, the house may block the wind from the meter.) The general rule of thumb is if something is blocking wind, a meter must be 4 object-heights away from it to get "clean air." So if a house is 10 feet tall, the meter must be 40 feet away.

Okay. Enough wind talk.