View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 AM   #17
ApS

Question That Outboard Issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
U know that a circle oarlock can be drilled and pinned because I have done it and that changes it from a circle to a pinned oarlock, and it made the 7' Walker Bay row boat a better row. The Walker Bay factory circle oarlocks are made out of some type rubber synthetic which twist-turn lock into the holders. Pinning the circles changed it from a sloppy row to an easy stay-in-place type of a row. Does one oar the boat, or row the boat?
I have a Walker Bay rowboat. It's good for rowing, as it has a large skeg molded in—and is "hardwired" for sailing.

But thinking more about the OP, why not try for a rowing canoe? While it may not be cheaper, it's faster to row and much lighter. After canoeing, the boat can be lifted by kids onto the trailer or dock. In close quarters, the oars can be shipped, and the paddles brought out.

I think there's much more for kids to learn about boating from a canoe than a rowboat. I first heard the boat-engineering term "tumblehome" from a canoe instructor.

Besides, after a few days of rowing around (or one windy day) it won't be long before the kids will want an outboard for their rowboat.