View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default .... different strokes for different folks?

Oh well ...... you know here's what I think ..... that rowing a 12' rowboat with oars with pinned oarlocks as opposed to using the circle oarlocks with leathers ...... is sort of like rowing while using training wheels or something.

The pinned oarlocks which have an approximately 2 1/2" rod or machine screw going through the oar is a fulcrum point that holds the oar in a fixed position that makes it easier to immediately do a good job of rowing because there's fewer variables and all you have to do is to pull on the oars and it's all pretty much pre-set.

For a beginner, that can be a good thing ......... and for me ......I guess I'm just a permanent beginner.

And, shipping the oars is easily doable because the pinned oarlocks get lifted up and out of the holders, as they are pinned to the oars. Depending on the boat it can be easy to rest the blades on the forward gunnels up by the bow without removing the oars from the oarlock holders ...... something that cannot be done so well with the circle oarlocks because the oars will flop around.