View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
ApS

Red face Rowing Made Complicated...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroycsivart View Post
I've been searching everywhere for a small aluminum row boat for our kids. Apparently, they don't make these new anymore so a used one it is! Does anyone know where I can find one?
Go to Craigslist. You should be able to find a 12-footer for less than $300. (A 10-footer is too small, and runs unnecessary risks on a big lake).

Older aluminum boats can be identified by their large castings on the "corners". While easier to row in a straight line, those older boats tend to be heavy for a "lightweight" aluminum boat.

Last year, I considered exercising by rowing, and bought a new pair of oars. The new oars came with leather bindings and circular-type oarlocks. At the suggestion of an experienced sailor, I painted the oars' blades a white color for higher visibility to faster/distracted boaters.

Rowing was difficult with my aluminum boat, as brisk winds would shift the boat's direction with every stroke. Now that I've spent nearly as much on oars than on this boat (!) I'd look for an aluminum boat with a deeper keel than most—or one with multiple keels.

On board, a rower should pack the following:

spare oarlock
spare break-down oar
spare drain plug
hand operated bilge pump

Beginners would appreciate oars that are pinned or clamped to the oarlocks.