View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default More info on "my guest"

A contractor who is working on a house across the street from me and further back into the woods stopped by yesterday (Fri 1-28) and we talked about the turkey. He thought that it may have a bad leg...I don't think so, because it will scratch gravel along side the driveway or dig in the snow with either foot (leg). What he has seen is a rather large herd of turkeys (Heard of Turkeys, of course I heard of turkeys...but seriously folks, take my wife....PLEASE....oops...I digress, again) up where he is working and they spend a lot of time browsing in a field up there. He has seen a solitary hen turkey come out of the woods on several occasions and be chased away from the flock by other hens. He figures that this turkey is the same one (she does cross the street and go up through the woods). I still won't feed her directly, and she seems perfectly capable of flying up into the trees to roost. She also eats "natural" food from the grasses and tree "stuff" by the edge of the woods.

I guess what the contractor has told me just points out one of the inevitable truths in life...Even a real turkey(s) can be an idiot at times, like kicking out one of their own....